In a context of liberalization, the Tunisian policy for the creation of technopoles aims at improving the competitiveness of Tunisian companies by bringing research and the business world closer together with a dual objective to enhance research achievements and orient the research to the needs of companies.
This project is the continuation of the work initiated in 2013 to support the ‘Technopole du Sud’ in the launching of its activities. More specifically, it aims at identifying the private actors and their needs, reinforcing the capacities of local actors, enhancing networking, promoting the Technopole and, finally, ensuring its sustainability with a long term programme.
Located in four governorates of southern Tunisia, the Technopole du Sud benefits from a very rich pole of higher education and research in Medenine, as well as a service park of 40 ha.
The ‘Technopole du Sud’ aims at:
- Promoting the Saharan resources (animal and plant resources, water, renewable energies) with the forward-looking view to bring together scientific research, higher education and the economic sector,
- Encouraging investment as well as the creation of innovative and high value-added enterprises,
- Supporting socio-economic and development dynamics in the south of Tunisia.
In a more general way, the project aims at supporting the ‘Technopole du Sud’ in the launching of its activities while building a dedicated skilled team.
- Identify the key actors of the Medenine area and raise awareness among them about the Technopole concept in order to gain their interest and future involvement in the project. Priority will be given to the economic actors and their specific needs;
- Inform more widely all potential stakeholders (institutions as well as private economic actors) about this initiative with the view to involve them;
- Transfer the tools and methods to the teachers-researchers of the Medenine area involved in the creation of the Technopole and the organization of its activities;
- Build the specialized team of the Technopole which will be responsible for coordinating the activities and structuring the sectors (clusters);
- Define the potential and priority fields of action of the Technopole. Identify the key sectors and lead markets;
- Lay the foundations for a search for greater funding to sustain the development of the Technopole.
Results, project impact
- A clear shared vision of the missions of the Technopole, support to the Strategic Steering Committee;
- Capacity building of the ‘Technopole du Sud’ and the IRA’s staff as well as all local actors participating in the development;
- Effective transfer of methods to identify the key sectors which could lead to the building of a cluster (olive oil industry, aromatic and medicinal plants, seafood products, camel breeding) and identification of the key local actors;
- Creation of a web site (http://www.technopolesud.tn/) available in three languages and of a leaflet promoting the Technopole;
- Preparation of a note for potential future financial partners.
CIHEAM-IAMM - France
Source of funding
: Conseil Général de l'Hérault ; IRA Médenine ; CIHEAM-IAMM
Programme and Contact references
: Christine TON NU, CIHEAM-IAMM, France - Project Leader – email@example.com
Houcine KHATELLI, IRA, Tunisia – Director - firstname.lastname@example.org
: 43 000,00 €
- Institut des Régions Arides (IRA) - Tunisia
- Institut National Agronomique de Tunisie (INAT) - Tunisia